Sugar cookie bars are what I consider the perfect party square.
These sugar cookie bars are soft, sweet with just a hint of tangy thanks to the addition of cream cheese. No lie, the frosting is creamy buttery perfection. This recipe tastes just as good as the classic sugar cookie but without the fuss of having to cut them into shapes (easy-peasy, just the way I like it!). They’re a great dessert for a small gathering and an instant crowd pleaser – which is why I dub them the perfect party square. Seriously, who doesn’t like a sugar cookie?!
I chose to make a pink frosting, because duh, however you can play with the frosting colour as much as you want. By changing up the colour, these sugar cookie bars could work for any holiday. For example, these could easily go from pink birthday party themed to Christmas simply by using more red food colouring. Want a St-Patty’s day square? Use green food colouring (you get the idea).
Also, it’s my personal opinion that there is no such thing as “too many sprinkles”, so go wild. I went the classic route used a generous amount of these multicoloured nonpareils.
Since the ingredients and steps are simple, this is a great recipe to make with children. This being said, the kids helped me bake these and I would be lying if I said the floor wasn’t covered in sprinkles once we were finished. Whatever, they had fun, right?
Lastly, if you make these Sugar Cookie Bars, be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Seeing your images is my fav!
Scroll below for this Sugar Cookie Bars recipe and if you aren’t already, don’t forget to subscribe!
Sugar Cookie Bars
This soft sugar cookie recipe is just as good as the classic sugar cookie but without the fuss!
For the Bars
- 1 cup butter unsalted at room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 Tbsp butter unsalted, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk plus more as needed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 drop gel food colouring of choice optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese on high until smooth. Add granulated sugar, egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift flour and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing on low until combined.
- Pour dough into prepared baking pan and transfer to oven for 20-25 minutes. Do not over bake - this bars should remain slightly under baked in the middle. Remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, combine the butter and cream cheese and beat with an electric mixer until well smooth. Slow add confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add 1 Tbsp of milk and 1 tsp of vanilla and food colouring and continue to beat. Add milk, 1 Tbsp at a time, as needed until desired consistency is achieved. Continue to beat frosting from 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread frosting evenly onto cookie bar base. Top with sprinkles. Cut into 20 bars. Serve and enjoy!