Satisfy your taste buds with a delicious twist on a classic cocktail with the Devil's Margarita. Made with tequila, lime juice, and red wine, this sinfully delicious drink is sure to be the standout of your next gathering.
If you're looking to add some heat to your cocktail game, look no further: This Devil's Margarita offers a unique spin on one of my ultimate favourite cocktails and is as tasty as she is pretty!
This post contains affiliate links and I may receive commissions for purchases made through these links. However, please know that I only provide links to products that I love and truly recommend.
As an avid cocktail lover (obviously), I'm always on the lookout for new and exciting recipes to try. The Devil's Margarita is exactly that. This devilishly drink is a perfect blend of sweet, sour, and boozy, and it's sure to be a hit. So what makes this cocktail so special? Let's talk about it.
It's my first belief that margaritas are a superior species when it comes to drinks. Add the taste profile offered by red wine and we have a Devil's Margarita. Yes, you heard right: tequila and red wine pair up and raise a little hell for this delicious drink. The tequila provides a bold, boozy base, while the lime juice adds a touch of tartness. The simple syrup balances out the flavours, and the red wine adds a depth of flavor that you simply can't find in a traditional margarita.
Why Margaritas Are A Marvelous Mix
So what makes a margarita so great anyway? Oh, let me tell you the ways. A good margarita is a harmonious balance of three flavours, where none of them outshine the others: tequila, triple sec, and lime juice. The tequila provides a bold and slightly spicy flavor, while the triple sec adds a sweet and citrusy taste. The lime juice acts as a counterbalance, bringing a tart and acidic flavor to the mix. All of the ingredients come together to create a drink that is both complex and easy to drink. In short, using a high-quality product won't feel like battery acid running down your throat.
The Glass Matters: Choose Wisely for Happy Hour Sips
Raise a glass (of Devil's Margarita) to the importance of choosing the right vessel! The right margarita glass can make or break happy hour. So, without further ado, I invite you to indulge in my top choices for the ultimate margarita glass experience.
- Classic Martini Glass: A martini glass is the traditional choice for serving a margarita. Its long stem keeps your hands from warming the drink (a big no-no) and its cone-shaped bowl allows the drink to showcase its stunning colour and presentation.
- Coupe Glass: My personal favourite, a coupe glass is a stylish and modern alternative to the martini glass. Its shallow bowl allows the drink to be presented in a more spread-out manner, making it ideal for showcasing beautiful garnishes.
- Rocks Glass: A rocks glass, also known as a lowball glass, is a more chill option for serving a margarita. Its sturdy and heavy construction makes it ideal for serving a margarita on the rocks (which I don't love, but who am I to yuk another person's yum?), and its larger size allows for more drink and ice.
Ultimately, the choice of glass for a margarita is a matter of personal preference. Each glass option offers a unique presentation and serves to enhance the overall experience of enjoying a well-made margarita.
Raising the Bar: The Importance of Selecting Top-Shelf Tequila
The quality of tequila is a crucial factor when making a margarita. Tequila gives all of the main character energy in this cocktail, and its flavour is front and center. It sets the foundation for the overall flavour of the drink and is a critical factor in ensuring a balanced and enjoyable margarita. A high-quality tequila will bring a smooth and complex taste to the drink, while a lower-quality tequila can make the margarita taste harsh and unbalanced. It sets the foundation for the overall flavor of the drink and is a critical factor in ensuring a balanced and enjoyable margarita. As a bartender, I always strive to use the best quality tequila to make sure every margarita I serve is top-notch.All of this to say that if you can, reach for the good stuff.
Another important thing to consider is the type of tequila used, since this choice can also affects its overall flavour of your drink. For example, a blanco tequila will bring a more straightforward and spicy flavour, while a reposado will bring a slightly smoother and woodier flavour. Each type of tequila offers a unique taste and should be chosen based on the desired outcome of the margarita. Personally? I go for blanco almost every time when making a margarita.
Pro Tips On Mixing the Perfect Devil's Margarita
It's time to mix things up (pun intended)! The perfect margarita is a delicate balance of sweet, sour, and strong, and the key to unlocking its full potential lies in the mixing process. Whether you're a seasoned bartender or a home mixologist, these pro tips will guide you on your journey to creating the ultimate margarita. So, grab your shaker, stock up on the essentials, and let's get ready to mix the perfect margarita!
- Use high-quality ingredients: Using top-notch tequila, triple sec, and freshly squeezed lime juice will ensure that your margarita has a smooth and well-balanced flavour.
- Get the right ratios: A classic margarita is made with a 2:1:1 ratio of tequila, triple sec, and lime juice. Experiment with different ratios to find the perfect balance for your taste.
- Shake it up: Shaking the ingredients together with ice helps to chill and dilute the drink, creating a smoother and more refreshing margarita.
- Rim the glass: Adding salt to the rim of the glass enhances the flavour and balances the sweetness of the drink.
- Serve it up: A margarita is typically served up, meaning without ice. Let's not water it down, amigos.
Ultimately, like most cocktails, the key to making the perfect Devil's margarita is to use high-quality ingredients. Don't cheap out on the tequila - as mentioned previously, she is the star of the show.
If you're looking for a unique twist on a classic cocktail, the Devil's Margarita is the way to go. It's an easy to make, delicious to drink, and sure to impress your guests. So why not give it a try and add a touch of devilish decadence to your next cocktail hour?
Scroll below for this Devil's Margarita recipe and if you haven’t already, don’t forget to subscribe!
- 1 ½ oz Tequila blanco
- 1 oz Lime juice fresh
- 1 oz Simple syrup
- ½ oz Red wine Dry
- Lime wedge or rind Optional
- Fill shaker with ice. Add tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Shake until chilled (approx. 30 seconds). Pour into glass.
- Set a spoon at a 45° angle over the glass, with the back of the spoon facing up.
- Carefully drizzle the wine over the spoon, until there's approx. ¼ of red wine at the top of the cocktail.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or rind. Enjoy!
If you like this blog post, be sure to subscribe to this blog, follow me on Instagram and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Looking for food photography tips and tricks Subscribe to my YouTube channel and never miss out on the action!