Days when the inside of our home smells like a Thai food market are never bad ones. Sure, the kids complain but that’s a given unless I’m serving chicken fingers or KD. With the help of my boyfriend who has mastered the art of selective hearing, I’m slowly learning to drown out the whining surrounding what’s for dinner. It’s a process but I’m told patience is a virtue. Kids aside, I personally love curried dishes and this Coconut Curry Meatball recipe is the perfect midweek meal. No two hour cooking marathon required for this bad boy. Honestly, who the hell has the time or energy for that shit on a Thursday? I just worked all day and now I have to tame the circus waiting for me at home. I don’t want to cook. I want to be horizontal with a bag of wine and a straw (fun fact; if you remove the bag from a box of wine you have an adult Kool-Aid Jammer). Thankfully, this Coconut Curry Meatball recipe only takes about thirty minutes and is insanely flavourful considering the minimal effort involved (though probably not as minimal as frozen chicken fingers, but don’t tell the kids that). Scroll below for this recipe as well as a few links to my favourite boxed wines – you know, in case of emergencies.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine pork, green onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Gently mix until combined (don’t overdo it or your balls will be dense and tough AF). Roll meat into tablespoon size balls placing them on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the balls are cooking, heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, bell peppers and ginger. Cook until peppers are softened (approx. 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the curry paste and cook about 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and fish sauce. Bring mixture to a boil. Add the meatballs and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes or until the sauce has slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Tell the kids it tastes just like chicken fingers and serve meatballs and sauce over bowls of jasmine rice.
For my wine box selections (because what classy lady doesn't drink wine from a box?), click on the following links -> Apothic Red Blend and Le Tane
If you like our recipe, follow us on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so we can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!