Warm apple crisp a la mode is one of my favourite desserts of all time. Not only is it delicious, it can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for days until you’re ready to bake it (which is precisely what I did). Another great perk? Apple crisp can easily be made into a gluten free dessert by swapping regular all-purpose flour for gluten free flour (which is also what I did).
Scroll below for this Classic (or Gluten-Free – the choice is totally yours) Apple Crisp recipe and don’t forget to subscribe! 😉
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the crumb topping:
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- ½ cup large-flake oats
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon, ground
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- Dash of salt
For the apple filling:
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly slices
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Dash of salt
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the topping, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Work in cold butter until it the mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside.
- For the filling, toss apples, granulated sugar, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Transfer to an 8 inch baking dish.
- Cover the apples evenly with the crumb mixture. Bake until the top becomes golden and juices are bubbling (approx. 30 minutes).
- Serve with ice cream and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, follow me on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!