In the world of ready-made breakfast pastries, there are two camps: team Pop Tart and team Toaster Strudel. While my family prefers the latter, I'm unapologetically Team Pop Tart. Call it nostalgia, call it laziness (Pop Tarts don't actually HAVE to be toasted, just saying'), but there's something about the flaky pastry/shiny frosting combo that brings me right back to the 6th grade, foiled package in hand, as I walked to school. Another staple of my childhood? Nutella. Come to think of it, Nutella has never actually left my diet, which probably helps explain the muffin top that I can't seem to shed. Anyhow, last week I came to the conclusion that the two should come together and make a Chocolate Hazelnut Pop Tart baby. This recipe is basically everything I love about Pop Tarts but better because, well, Nutella. If you're Team Pop Tart, these are definitely a must!
Scroll below for this Chocolate Hazelnut Pop Tart recipe and if you haven't already, don't forget to subscribe! 😉
Here's what you'll need:
For the dough:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 6-7 tablespoon ice cold water
- 1 egg for egg wash
For the filling:
- 8 tablespoon Nutella
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
For the frosting:
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 egg white
Here's what you'll do:
- For the dough, combine flour, ground hazelnuts, butter and shortening in a food processor. Pulse until clumps form. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Form a ball with the dough, then divide into two equal portions. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- With an electric mixer, beat Nutella and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Line two baking pans with parchment paper. Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator and let sit for 10-15 minutes. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 9x12 inch rectangle. Using a ruler and pizza cutter, cut three 3-inch rows across the 9-inch side, and four 4-inch rows across the 12-inch side. Transfer the rectangles onto one baking sheet and pop back into the refrigerator. Repeat process with second portion of dough.
- On the first set of rectangles, brush egg wash generously over the edges. Spoon 1Tbsp of Nutella mixture in the center.
- Place the second set of rectangles onto the Nutella rectangles. Press edges firmly with fork. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 400°F. Brush the top of Pop Tarts with remaining egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden around edges. Let cool.
- For the frosting, combine butter, Nutella, confectioner's sugar, egg white and milk. Beat with electric mixer 2-3 minutes.
- Spread frosting onto each Pop Tart and sprinkle with hazelnut crumbs. Let sit for approx 2 hours to allow frosting to harden. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you like this recipe, follow me on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!