Apologies in advance to all of my lactose-intolerant friends out there, because this four cheese mac ‘n cheese recipe is NEXT LEVEL. Not only does it have my four favourite cheeses incorporated into the recipe, but I’ve also topped it with an everything bagel and bacon crumb so like, yeah – totally mind blowing. I decided to use scoobi doo noodles (proper name cavatappi but scoobi doo is much more fun to say) because they remind me of my university years back when I could demolish a whole casserole dish of pasta and still fit into my pants. While I now have to exhibit self-control and only eat one bowl instead of a whole pan, it’s a challenge considering how delicious this recipe is. Thankfully, the kids love it too, so I’m forced to share.
Scroll below for this Four Cheese Mac ‘n Cheese and if you haven’t already, don’t forget to subscribe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 everything bagel, chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1lb pasta (I used cavatappi)
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup smoked gouda, shredded
- 1 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces brie, rind removed and chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, cook chopped bacon on medium heat until crispy. Scoop out and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- In same skillet,toss bagel pieces in left over bacon grease and and cook on low heat until crispy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta al dente as per package instructions. *Do not over cook – pasta will continue to cook later in oven. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot that you boiled pasta, melt butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted, whisk in flour. Reduce heat to low and allow rue to cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Raise heat back up to medium, and gradually add milk. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking frequently until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in cheddar, gouda, Havarti, brie, cayenne and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until cheeses are fully melted. Add cooked pasta and stir.
- Transfer pasta into dish.
- In a food processor, combine bacon and bagel bits. Pulse until crumb consistency is achieved.
- Sprinkle bagel crumb mixture over pasta. Transfer to oven and bake 20 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden brown and sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, follow me on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!