You know the expression “when life gives you lemons”? Well, I feel like I’ve been buried in the sour fruit lately. Enough lemons, life – at least send limes so that I can make margaritas. Anyway, to mirror the state of things, I’ve decided to go with a lemon theme for the next few weeks. I figure if I use as many lemons as I can in my recipes, maybe the other facets of my existence will return to normal. Today, I bring to you these Baked Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts. They’re light, fluffy and full of the tangy citrus flavour I’m looking for as I desperately hold onto what’s left of summer. They also only take about 20 minutes to make from start to finish, which is an awesome bonus. An important tip: use FRESH lemon juice. Honestly, the bottled stuff just doesn’t cut it. These donuts are also best eaten the day they are made, which is an awesome excuse to eat all 6 – just sayin’.
Scroll below for this Baked Lemon Poppy Seed Donut recipe and if you haven’t already, don’t forget to subscribe!
Baked Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts
Number of Servings: 6
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the donuts:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tsp lemon zest, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
For the glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 350° Spray donut pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together egg and granulated sugar with electric mixer.
- Add butter, milk, sour cream, vanilla, lemon juice and zest. Beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine poppy seeds, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift together.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet with a rubber spatula until evenly combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop batter into piping bag and pipe batter into the donut pan, filling each ¾ full. *If you do not have a piping bag, cut a corner out of a ziplock bag and use to pipe batter instead.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
- While donuts are baking, combine confectioner’s sugar, butter, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Adjust with confectioner’s sugar/milk until you have desired consistence. Cover and set aside.
- Once baked, remove donuts from pan and allow to cool completely on cooling rack.
- Dip the tops of donuts into the glaze and garnish with lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, follow me on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!