Am I the only one out there who feels like a bag of milk lately? All of a sudden, I find myself having to inhale deeply to button my jeans, my fingers are starting to look like sausages thanks to all of the salty (and delicious) foods I’ve been eating and worse yet, my bloated body doesn’t fit into my swimsuits. This swimsuit situation is problematic because: 1. We will be in Florida soon and 2. I’m too cheap to buy new ones (honestly if money weren’t a factor we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion). Not to mention the fact that I see the big 4-0 on the not-so-distant horizon and know that my days of living off a peanut butter M&Ms and wine without the scale taking notice are numbered. I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s time to reign it the fuck in (at least until after my vacation). One of my favourite soups is potato and leek, but since potatoes aren’t my friend at the moment I went with leek and lima beans instead and garnished the soup with bacon bits (yes, I know: not the healthiest but baby steps, people).
Scroll below for this Leek and Lima Bean Soup recipe and if you haven’t already, don’t forget to subscribe! 😉
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 to 4 leek stalks, sliced
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 slices of bacon, diced
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over low heat. Add leeks and thyme and cook covered for 10 minutes or until softened. If leeks begin to stick, add splash of water.
- Place the diced bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook until crispy. Set aside.
- Once leeks have softened, add lima beans, vegetable broth and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- With a blender or emulsifier, blend the soup.
- Garnish with bacon bits and serve. Enjoy!
If you like this recipe, follow me on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!