This simple Zuppa Toscana Soup is packed full of flavour and makes for a great meal option during the chilly winter months!
From the months of January to April, I would gladly hibernate with the bears. Seriously folks, it’s hella cold in my part of the world. Tomorrow’s forecast reads -29°C and my one wish is to be in a place where the only thing frozen is my margarita. Unfortunately, this isn’t my current reality so I have to settle for fuzzy sweaters, wool socks and soup.
While it isn’t as awesome as getting annihilated on a beach, this Zuppa Toscana Soup isn’t the worst consolation prize. The recipe includes a fair amount of bacon, and if there’s one food that can make me feel better about living in northern New-Brunswick it’s that.
Scroll below for this warm and cozy Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe and if you haven’t already, don’t forget to subscribe!
Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1 lb ground spicy Italian sausage
- 8 slices bacon diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 russet potatoes large, peeled and diced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ bunch kale chopped into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- In a large skillet, brown ground sausage on medium heat. One sausage has browned, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Fry bacon in residual sausage grease until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and transfer the grease to a large soup pot.
- On medium heat, add onions to the soup pot and cook in sausage/bacon grease for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and garlic, then stir well to coat. Add chicken stock and stir. Add potatoes, sausage and bacon and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, add whipping cream and kale and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. Cozy up with a bowl and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, follow me on Instagram @cashmereandcocktailsblog and use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog so I can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!