This may come as a surprise to some of you considering the type of content I normally post (Double Chocolate Cookies, anyone?), but I eat salad almost daily. This is particularly true during the warmer months when I’m craving something cool and crunchy. I reach for salads until we are hit with “soup season” (aka the six months of winter we endure in my part of the world). Also, apologies to all you fish-haters out there but I love salmon. My hometown is situated alongside the Restigouche River, which is world-renowned for its exclusive salmon fishing – and when I say exclusive I mean CEO, bazillionaire, fuck-you-money exclusive. My father-in-law was shareholder of a fishing camp that once belonged to Joseph Pulitzer II, to give you some context. And yes, I’m referring to the dude that the Pulitzer Prize was named after. Crazy, I know. Anyway, enough with the history lesson and back food. This vibrant salad recipe is like summer in a bowl. Not only is it fresh and flavourful, the hearty salmon and creamy avocado make it surprisingly filling. This recipe is even, dare I say, healthy (you probably won’t see this term used often on the blog, folks). I found this recipe on Southern Living and modified it slightly to accommodate the ingredients I had on hand. Scroll below to find out how I put this bright and tasty salad together and don’t forget to subscribe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8oz of raw salmon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12oz of spring greens (or whatever type of lettuce you have on hand/prefer)
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1 pink grapefruit, segmented
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup of feta cheese
- 3tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 2tbsp of honey
- 2tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake salmon for 15 to 20 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork. Set aside and let cool completely.
- In a mason jar, combine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper. Seal lid tightly and shake vigorously until all of the ingredients are blended.
- Toss together the lettuce, orange, grapefruit, avocado and shallot. Drizzle with vinaigrette (I said drizzle, not free pour. A little goes a long way here). Sprinkle with feta and enjoy!
For the original Southern Living recipe, click HERE.
If you like our recipe, please use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog on Instagram so we can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!