It was my baby’s first birthday recently *suppresses a sob* and it’s hard to believe that a whole year has gone by since I pushed that watermelon-sized butterball through my vajayjay. She is my third child and it’s been a tad wild to say the least. The other two kids are a fair amount older which means lugging baby to every sport, music and art class they have (and there are many, trust me). I spent the bulk of last summer being a chauffeur and breastfeeding in the back of my vehicle, if you need a visual. I shit you not, there were moments when I thought life would never get easier. Yet here we are; birthday numero uno and easier it has become. Although we kept the affair low-key, I still wanted to bake something beautiful for our little one. Initially, the plan was a confetti cake. I love a good confetti cake and I promise to someday post a recipe but today is not that day. I was literally creaming the butter when I decided to go rogue and bake a strawberry cake instead. Baby girl’s favourite snacks are berries, so I felt the choice was fitting. For the frosting, I made a simple vanilla buttercream icing. I decided to try my hand at the “naked-cake” look because who the hell doesn’t like nudes? Kidding (kinda). My in-laws also graciously hosted the party at their lovely home along the Restigouche River (I've included a picture of the view because it's too pretty not to share). This was absolutely fantastic since our cleaning lady recently quit and our house looks like it’s been ransacked (for the record, she quit to pursue a new career, not because we’re terrible). I’m also a crappy parent and forgot my camera (oops) however since its 2019 and phones have great cameras built into them I feel slightly less guilty. What can I say; you win some, you lose some. Right? Anyway, scroll below for this sweet and easy Strawberry Cake recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the cake:
- 1 cup of butter
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of strawberries, pureed
For the frosting:
- 1 cup of butter
- 5 cups of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoon of milk
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Preheat oven at 350°F.
2. Lightly grease three 8” cake pans. (If you only have two pans simply bake the third layer once the first two layers are finished baking.)
3. Cream butter, sugar and eggs in an electric mixer.
4. Add vanilla, strawberry puree and baking powder.
5. Gradually add flour and milk, alternating between the two until combined. Do not over mix or your cake will be dense AF. Remember, this is not a pound cake.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Before removing from oven, I suggest testing the cake’s doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, then it’s ready.
7. Let cool.
8. In an electric mixer, beat butter and vanilla, adding icing sugar gradually.
9. Add milk until you reach desired consistency.
10. Once cakes have completely cooled, frost to your heart’s desire.
If you like our recipe, please use the hashtag #cashmereandcocktailsblog on Instagram so we can give your post some love! Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action.