I don’t know what your corner of the world looks like right now but it is hotter than Satan’s nut sack here. I’m not complaining; we get an easy 6 months of snow and freezing weather in my hometown so the summer heat (even the swamp-ass kind) is welcome. And while I could advise everyone to hydrate and drink more H20, I’m notorious for encouraging bad behaviour. Instead of water, let me introduce you to the only beverage you need right now; the Salty Dog. The Salty Dog is a citrusy cocktail traditionally made with grapefruit juice and gin. It is wonderful in the way that it will both help you beat the sweltering heat and get your buzz on. See? Who needs water? Not I good sir, not I. Anyway, I’ve read that the recipe can be made with either gin or vodka. I went with gin because I think it pairs well with the tartness of the grapefruit, but this is simply a personal preference. If you don’t like the Christmas-tree-like flavour that gin offers then by all means do vodka. I also chose to add lime sparkling water to the cocktail which may offend the die-hard Salty Dog fans but it is delicious so too fucking bad. Scroll below to find this refreshing (though not hydrating) Salty Dog recipe!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 3 oz of lime sparkling water
– 6 oz of fresh pink grapefruit juice
– 3 oz of gin
– Kosher salt
– 1 grapefruit, wedged
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Pour the salt onto a small plate. With a piece of grapefruit, moisten the outer rim of two tall glasses. Dip the glasses into the salt to lightly coat the rim.
2. Add grapefruit juice and gin into a cocktail shaker and shake (insert Sean Paul – Get Busy).
3. Fill cups with ice and pour cocktail.
4. Add lime sparkling water and stir.
5. Share with friends or keep drinks all to yourself. No judgement here.
If you try our recipe, please use the hashtag #cashemereandcocktailsblog on Instagram so we can give your post some love. Also, subscribe to the blog and never miss out on the action!